This ultimate brownie recipe is an absolute must-try. Look out for the pro tip at the end of this post
- 375 grams soft unsalted butter
- 375 grams best-quality dark chocolate
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 500 grams caster sugar
- 225 grams plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 300 grams chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan. Line your brownie tin – don’t forget the sides!
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a large heavy-based pan. In a bowl or large wide-mouthed measuring jug, beat the eggs with the sugar and vanilla. Measure the flour into another bowl and add the salt.
- When the chocolate mixture has melted, let it cool a bit before beating in the eggs and sugar, and then the nuts and flour. Beat to combine smoothly and then scrape out of the saucepan into the lined tin
- Bake for about 25 minutes. When it’s ready, the top should be dried to a paler brown speckle, but the middle should still be dark and dense and gooey.
Pro Tip: Keep checking: the difference between gooey brownies and dry brownies is only a few minutes; remember that they will continue to cook as they cool.
If you like your brownies with a twist, nuts can add a great flavour and texture to this ultimate brownie recipe. A nutty crunch in a gooey brownie can be irresistible. Walnuts, almonds, pistachios, macadamia nuts, pecans and even peanuts can all be used.